For those looking for a healthier substitute to your current sour cream vegetable dip, consider hummus.
Hummus is a chickpea-based dip, and a staple Levantine spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini, garlic, olive oil, salt and lemon juice.
The nutritional benefits and advantages of hummus can be rooted down from every single ingredient; Rich in healthy fats, protein and fiber, Hummus makes your already healthy veggies even healthier. Hummus is high in vitamin C and iron in addition to significant amounts of vitamin B6 and folate. In addition to being a good protein source, chickpeas are also a good source for dietary fiber. The tahini, consisting mostly of sesame seeds, makes an excellent source of amino acid methionine, which complements the proteins found in the chickpeas. When eaten with bread, hummus serves as a complete protein. Garlic and lemon juice are filled with antioxidants which actively reduce oxidative stress in the body. In addition, they work to improve immune functions and fight of viruses and bacteria.
Include hummus in your diet; use it as spread on wraps and sandwiches, dressing to your pasta or salad, as dip for raw vegetables, or as side dish for main courses.
Hummus recipes might include spices such as coriander seeds, cumin, and paprika. You may also find hummus blended with sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized-onion, and even red pepper.
The recipe below is from Vitamix, one of the best basic hummus recipes.
The best basic hummus recipe
- 15 ounces canned chick peas (garbanzos), drained
- 15 ounces canned chick peas (garbanzos), with liquid
- 3 x Tablespoons of tahini
- 1 x Tablespoon of best quality olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 x garlic clove (peeled)
- 1x teaspoon ground cumin
- 5-6 dashs of Tabasco sauce
- Salt, to taste
- Place chick peas, sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend 1 minute, using the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades, until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle top of hummus with fresh parsley and paprika.
- Season to taste with salt.
This recipe has been written for the Vitamix 5200 with Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
For thinner hummus, add a little of the liquid from the chickpeas or a little water. 1/4 cup water with totally drained garbanzos is perfect; the hummus thickens up after refrigeration. This is a basic hummus recipe, simple yet delicious. Enjoy!